Just 5 ingredients and little effort stand in between you and this comforting, filling, weeknight 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchilada Bake. Just layer the enchilada ingredients like a lasagna and you’re good to go. No messy rolling here.
- 3/4 – 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded (see notes))
- 2 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend, but colby jack or mozzarella would also be great)
- 6–9 small flour tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro (optional – for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Into a 9×9 baking dish, spoon about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom and spread around.
- Now time to layer. Start with a tortilla layer – placing 2-3 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce (I like to cut a tortilla in half and place at the edges to help it all fit). Then spread about 1/2 of the refried beans on the tortillas. Layer half of the shredded chicken on top of the beans and top the chicken with about 1/3 of the cheese. Evenly pour over about 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce. Repeat this layer – tortillas, remaining refried beans, remaining chicken, next 1/3 of the cheese, and another 3/4 cup enchilada sauce. Finally top again with 2-3 tortillas, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pour over about 1/2 cup (or the remaining) enchilada sauce.
- Cover with an oiled piece of aluminum foil (I like to spray a 9×9 square in the middle of an aluminum foil sheet with cooking spray). Bake covered for 30 minutes. Then carefully remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes uncovered, until the cheese is fully melted, starting to brown, and bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving so that the casserole can firm up. Serve with sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
I love to prep a big batch of shredded chicken to use throughout the week, see how to easily make it in your slow cooker here
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican