It’s 5pm. I just got home from work and am hungryyyyyyy. There is some leftover shredded chicken that I prepped in the slow cooker (instructions here). I could make a sad chicken salad, but the temps have dropped and I want something warm and comforting. But also with little effort and without requiring a trip to the store. Enter, 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchilada Bake.
Did I mention that this is just 5 ingredients?! Shredded chicken? Check. Tortillas? Check. Refried beans? Check. Enchilada Sauce? Check. And shredded cheese? CHECK! Not only is this a perfect, pantry staple meal, BUT it’s super easy. No messy enchilada rolling here. No enchiladas that crack and fall apart in the oven. Just layer ‘er up like an lasagna! Easy.
Just bake for about 35 minutes and dinner is served! Try to let it cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting to let everything set up. I HIGHLY recommend serving with a big ol’ dollop of sour cream. And maybe a sprinkling of fresh cilantro if ya wanna get fancy. Perfect, easy, lazy, weeknight meal.Print
Just 5 ingredients and little effort stand in between you and this comforting, filling, weeknight 5-Ingredient Chicken Enchilada Bake. Just layer the enchilada ingredients like a lasagna and you’re good to go. No messy rolling here.
- 3/4 – 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and shredded (see notes))
- 2 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend, but colby jack or mozzarella would also be great)
- 6–9 small flour tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro (optional – for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Into a 9×9 baking dish, spoon about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom and spread around.
- Now time to layer. Start with a tortilla layer – placing 2-3 tortillas on top of the enchilada sauce (I like to cut a tortilla in half and place at the edges to help it all fit). Then spread about 1/2 of the refried beans on the tortillas. Layer half of the shredded chicken on top of the beans and top the chicken with about 1/3 of the cheese. Evenly pour over about 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce. Repeat this layer – tortillas, remaining refried beans, remaining chicken, next 1/3 of the cheese, and another 3/4 cup enchilada sauce. Finally top again with 2-3 tortillas, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pour over about 1/2 cup (or the remaining) enchilada sauce.
- Cover with an oiled piece of aluminum foil (I like to spray a 9×9 square in the middle of an aluminum foil sheet with cooking spray). Bake covered for 30 minutes. Then carefully remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes uncovered, until the cheese is fully melted, starting to brown, and bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving so that the casserole can firm up. Serve with sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
I love to prep a big batch of shredded chicken to use throughout the week, see how to easily make it in your slow cooker here
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican