Weeknight dinner made easy with this 5 ingredient sauce made from pantry staples. Serve with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for a low carb solution. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 large spaghetti squash (3–4 lbs. Can substitute 1lb of regular pasta cooked according to package directions)
Sausage Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced. About 2 cups.)
- 1.5 lbs Italian sausage (Hot or mild. Your choice of pork, turkey, or chicken sausage. )
- 3 cloves garlic (minced. About 1 tablespoon)
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon of each)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional if you want more heat)
- Cook your spaghetti squash. Either cook in your Instant Pot (link to full instructions in Recipe Notes) or roast in the oven. To roast, preheat oven to 425 degrees . Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Drizzle cut sides with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast on a sheet pan, cut sides down for 45 minutes – 1 hour, until squash is tender. When cool enough to handle, scrape out flesh with a fork.
- Make the sauce. In a dutch oven or large saute pan, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the onions. Saute while stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent.
- Move onions to the side of the pan and add the sausage. Brown the sausage and crumble into chunks. Stir into the onions and cook until the sausage is cooked through (no longer pink). Make a well in the center and add the garlic. Let cook for about a minute. The garlic will be fragrant but not burnt.
- Add the tomatoes and spices. Stir together well. Lower the heat to low, and allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes while you wait for the spaghetti squash to finish cooking.
- Serve with the spaghetti squash and enjoy. I highly recommend a little Parmesan cheese on top 🙂
To make spaghetti squash in your Instant Pot, click here.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian