Wholesome, clean ingredients blended up make the perfect energy balls. Store in your freezer for when you need a pick-me-up.
- 1 cup almond butter (can substitute other nut butters)
- 1 cup pitted dates (packed cup. About 10–15 dates depending on size)
- 2 cups rolled oats (also called old fashioned oats. Can substitute quick cooking oats.)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chip (optional)
- If your dates are already extra soft you can skip this step, but I like to soak the pitted dates in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes. While soaking you can gather the rest of your ingredients. The soak helps soften the dates and makes it easier for your food processor to do its work.
- Add all ingredients except for the chocolate chips to a food processor or high speed blender. Pulse the mixture in bursts for about a minute. Once the dates are chopped up you can turn the food processor on (pulsing helps so your food processor isn’t working too hard). Process until the mixture is almost smooth. Some small pieces of oats and dates are okay 🙂
- If using, add in the chocolate chips and pulse for a few more seconds to incorporate into the mixture.
- Roll the mixture into balls, about a tablespoon per ball. Place on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Once they are flash frozen, you can store in a zip top bag in the freezer.
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American