Is it grilling season yet? We’ve had a few days over 40°, and I’ve been soooo tempted to head outside and grill. There is one saving grace tiding me over until it warms up more, my grill pan. I have a cast iron grill pan from Le Creuset that I LOVE! It’s called the Skinny Grill and it heats up nice and hot, holds the heat, and leaves the best grill marks that have me drooling for summer grilling.
In this recipe, I put my grill pan to use in the best way.. CORN ON THE COB. Corn was on sale at my local Fresh Thyme this past week for a complete steal and I couldn’t resist. And to really maximize the flavors of warmer weather we’re bringing barbecue chicken into the mix. These BBQ Chicken Quinoa Bowls are easy enough to throw together using leftovers for a quick weeknight meal but also keep well enough to use for meal prep. Talk about a workhorse of a meal. Tons of protein from the chicken, beans, quinoa, AND greek yogurt. This bowl will. fill. you. up!
Thanks to the quinoa, chicken, and beans these bowls are extra filling. Add in the sweetness from the barbecue sauce and the taste of summer from the grilled corn, you’ll want to make this meal prep friendly recipe year round.
- 1 lb cooked chicken (shredded. Either dark or white meat.)
- 1 cup dry quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups chicken broth (can substitute water)
- 2 ears corn (shucked. )
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 whole avocado (peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (plus additional to toss with chicken)
- 1/4 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- First, let’s get the quinoa going. Place your rinsed quinoa and chicken broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. The quinoa will absorb all the liquid. and be fluffy.
- While the quinoa is cooking, preheat a grill pan or skillet on medium heat. Brush the shucked corn with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 7-10 minutes, turning occasionally. The corn will be bright yellow and get the best char marks. Remove from the grill and set aside to cool slightly
- Toss the shredded chicken with your desired amount of barbecue sauce. I like to use about 2-3 tablespoons, but use more or less to your taste.
- Make the creamy barbecue sauce. Mix the 1/4 cup barbecue sauce with the Greek yogurt until well combined. Set aside. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the cob.
- Once the quinoa is done cooking it’s time to assemble the bowls! Divide the quinoa evenly among 4 bowls, top with the shredded barbecue chicken, beans, corn, and sliced avocado. Drizzle with the yogurt barbecue sauce and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!
Feel free to sub canned or frozen corn for the grilled corn on the cobs.
This is a great recipe to use up leftover chicken, but you can also cook chicken breasts while you are grilling the corn.
If you don’t have chicken broth, you can absolutely use water to cook the quinoa. I like the extra flavor the broth brings.
These bowls make great meal prep! Either store the ingredients separately or preassemble the bowls. If you’re going to be reheating the assembled bowls, I like to leave the avocado and creamy barbecue sauce on the side. They’ll keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.
1 bowl = 540 calories and 40g of protein
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American