Buttermilk Quick Bread is a magical thing. No yeast, No rising, and No kneading. Delicious as is, or make one of the 5 recipe customizations. Sweet or savory, your pick! Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan (9×5 inches) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate, medium bowl mix together the oil, buttermilk, and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry. Gently fold together until the flour has been incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan, spreading into the corner. Bake for 45-50 minutes. The loaf should be golden on top, domed, and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before removing. Slice to serve.
To store – wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
To freeze – loaf can be wrapped in plastic wrap and then wrapped in aluminum foil and frozen for up to 3 months.
Quick Bread Customizations: Add the following ingredients to the dry and wet ingredients.
- Apple-Cinnamon Quick Bread: 1 cup chopped apples, 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Blueberry Quick Bread: 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, zest from one lemon
- Chocolate Chip Quick Bread: 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cranberry-Walnut Quick Bread: 1 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Jalapeño Cheddar Quick Bread: Reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons. Add 1/4 cup minced jalapeño (without or with some seeds, depending on spice preference), 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: American