These Giant Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies are a super fun spin on the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. Stuff soft caramels inside big balls of cookie dough. Enjoy them warm and the caramel is gooey along with the melted chocolate chip
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 24 Werther's soft caramels
- Prep - Start by unwrapping the caramels. Cut about half of them into thirds. I recommend leaving them spread out on a cutting board so they don't stick together while you make the dough.
- Cream the Wet Ingredients - Using your electric mixer or stand mixer (with the paddle attachment) cream the softened butter in a large bowl. Add the brown and white sugar and cream again for at least a minute until well creamed. Add the eggs and vanilla and cream again until combined.
- Add Dry Ingredients - In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add to the wet in 2-3 parts, mixing until combined and the dough comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips on low speed until evenly distributed.
- Form Dough - Form the dough into large balls (about 100 grams or 3-4 ounces). Flatten each ball, place an unwrapped caramel, and form the dough around it. I like to stick a couple of the cut caramel pieces along with a few chocolate chips on top of the dough ball as well.
- Chill - Place the formed dough balls on parchment lined plate or sheet pan and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours. This helps reduce spreading when baking.
- Bake - When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Place a few cookies on a sheet (giving a few inches in between as they are big!). Bake for 11-14 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the tops are mostly set.
- Cool - Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. The cookies will continue to 'cook' as they cool on the sheet and set up. You can sprinkle them with flaky sea salt when you remove from the oven as well. If the cookies don't have that perfect round shape or if some of the caramel oozed out the sides, you can use a large coffee mug or biscuit cutter to swirl the cookies back into shape while still hot.
- Serve - The cookies are best enjoyed warm either after baking or you can rewarm them for a few seconds in the microwave before enjoying.
- Use the Soft Caramels - It's important to use this variety of caramels because they are softer than the typical Kraft caramels.
- Serve the Cookies Warm - When the cookies cool, the caramels will set up and harden again. Although they're still delicious this way, I HIGHLY recommend microwaving each cookie for just 10 seconds or so to remelt the caramel.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 giant cookie
- Calories: 621
- Sugar: 69.4 g
- Sodium: 315.6 mg
- Fat: 27.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 93.4 g
- Protein: 7.3 g
- Cholesterol: 71.7 mg
Keywords: Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies