Homemade Caramelized Onion Dip is perfect for your next party and can even be made in advance! Serve with your favorite potato chips and enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, thinly sliced then the slices cut in half or thirds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- Caramelize Onions – In a medium-large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until caramelized (very soft and tender, reduced, and a dark brown but not burnt). Stir frequently. It will take about 25-30 minutes.
- Slightly Cool Onions – Transfer onions to a medium bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix Dip – Add remaining ingredients to onions and stir to combine.
- Chill Dip – Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving so the flavors can meld.
- Serve – Serve with potato chips and enjoy!
The onion dip can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Caramelized Onion Dip Recipe, How to make caramelized onion dip