This Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake is perfect for Fall. It’s extra moist and loaded with fresh apple chunks. And don’t forget about the crunchy cinnamon sugar topping.
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, light or brown
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk, see note for substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups peeled and chopped apples
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan or baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla extract. Once mixed, stir in the flour and then fold in the apples. Pour into greased pan.
- For the topping – mix together the melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Using your fingers, sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in the preheated oven. The cake is done when it is set and a toothpick comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Buttermilk Substitute: Take 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and add enough milk until it reaches 1 cup. Let sit for 5 minutes until it is somewhat curdled.
Leftovers: Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake, Apple Cake, Fall Dessert, Breakfast Cake, Cinnamon Sugar Cake