Classic Strawberry Shortcake requires a light and tender biscuit, sweet and sugary strawberries, all topped off with fluffy whipped cream. We elevate the traditional Strawberry Shortcake by adding Crème Fraîche to our homemade whipped creme. Recipe at Kathleenscravings.com
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (One and a half sticks. Cold and cut into cubes)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or cream (for brushing on tops)
- raw turbinado sugar (for sprinkling)
- 2 lbs strawberries (ends removed and sliced)
- 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (just the zest)
Crème Fraîche Whipped Cream
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (cold)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Crème Fraîche
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- First, make the strawberries so they can sit and sweeten. In a medium bowl combine the strawberry ingredients. Store in fridge while you make the biscuits and whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Pulse the dry shortcake ingredients in a food processor (first 4 ingredients). Add cubed, cold butter and pulse until course, pea-sized crumbs remain. Alternatively - you can mix the dry ingredients and then use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter.
- Transfer mixture to bowl and pour over the buttermilk and gently stir together. The dough will be very crumbly with lots of chunks and shreds. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and form into a ball. Gently flatten ball into a circle that is about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Use a circle cutter (mine was 3-inches in diameter) and cut dough. Re roll the scraps and continue until all dough is used. Place dough circles on a baking sheets (or a large cast iron skillet). You want the dough circles to be touching. This helps keep them from flattening and they rise better. See picture above.
- Brush tops with the extra buttermilk and sprinkle with a little raw sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before assembling.
Crème Fraîche Whipped Cream
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer and a large bowl (I like to chill my bowl in the fridge or freezer beforehand), beat the cream, vanilla and sugar until soft peaks form. About 3-4 minutes depending on mixer speed. Add Crème Fraîche and mix together - about 30 seconds. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.
Assemble the Shortcakes
- Slice the biscuits in half, top with a big dollop of the whipped cream, and then spoon over some of the strawberries. I also like to spoon over some of the strawberry juices. Top with the other half of the biscuit and enjoy!
To Make Ahead:
- The biscuits can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- The Whipped Cream can be made the day before and stored in the fridge.
- The Sweet Strawberries can be made the day before and stored in the fridge.
- Assemble just before serving 🙂
Buttermilk: If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make it yourself. Add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Add milk (whole milk preferred) to the 1 cup line. Stir and let sit for a few minutes before using.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American