This Creamy Sausage Kale Soup is super flavorful, filling, and made on the stove in no time at all! Italian Sausage adds a slight kick that is offset by the creamy broth. Loads of texture from the potatoes, beans, and kale. This will be a new chilly day favorite!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage, mild or hot
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock
- 15oz can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook Onion and Sausage – Grab a large soup pot and heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until it is starting to soften then add the sausage and cook/brown the sausage while crumbling. When the sausage is cooked and the onions are tender, add the garlic and cook for just a minute more.
- Add Flour and Spices – Add the flour, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using) to the pot, stir and cook for a minute.
- Cook Potatoes – Add the broth to the pot – scrape any bits off of the bottom – and add the diced potatoes along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium-low heat and cook until the potatoes are just fork tender (about 10 minutes, but will vary depending on how large your potatoes are).
- Add Kale and Beans – Add the chopped kale and white beans to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes or so until the kale is wilted.
- Finish Soup – Stir in the cream and lemon juice. Taste the soup and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Sausage Kale Soup, Tuscan Sausage Soup, White Bean Sausage Soup