This Stovetop Dutch Oven Chili Recipe is hearty, thick, rich, and flavorful. All made in one dutch oven or large pot for easy clean up. It’s perfect for a chilly day or even a game day party. All you need is ground beef, broth, beans, canned tomatoes, and some staple spices!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium-large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1.5–2 cups beef broth
- 2 15-oz cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Brown Ground Beef – Heat up a large dutch oven with the oil to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef and cook, while crumbling, until fully cooked and crumbled. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked beef to a plate.
- Cook Onion and Garlic – If there is excess grease, remove some of it but leave a layer in the pot, then add the diced onion and sauté until the onion is tender. About 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add Remaining Ingredients – Add all ingredients, including the cooked beef, to the dutch oven. Stir to combine. Make sure to scrape any bits from the bottom. Bring the chili to a simmer and reduce the heat to maintain.
- Simmer – Allow the chili to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Give it a stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. If you’re only simmering for ~30 minutes then you can leave it uncovered so it thickens. But if you are simmering for longer then you can cover with a lid and remove for the last 30 minutes.
- Serve – Remove the bay leaves and discard. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove Top, Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Dutch Oven Chili, Stove Top Chili, Classic chili