Sausage, hash browns, and lots of cheese make this egg bake the perfect weekend breakfast or brunch. Prep the night before and bake in the morning so you can sleep in a little extra. Recipe at Kathleenscravings.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 1 16 oz package store-bought refrigerated hashbrowns
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional: Additional to sprinkle on top)
- 10 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and then add the diced onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes until softened and translucent. Push onions to the side and add the sausage. Brown and crumble while cooking for an additional 3-5 minutes. While doing this, stir the onions occasionally to so they continue to cook evenly. When finished, give everything a stir so the onions and crumbled sausage combines. Remove skillet from heat.
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place the hashbrowns in an even layer along the bottom of the dish. Spoon the sausage and onion mixture over the top. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese on top of the sausage in an even layer.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over the layers in the baking dish.
- Bake right away in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 12 hours before baking. The egg bake is done when it is bubbly and slightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to serving. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge, covered, for up to 4 days.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American