This Easy Sesame Chicken recipe lets you make one of your takeout favorites right at home and in under 30 minutes! No frying in this recipe and all made in one pan. The sweet and sticky sesame sauce uses pantry staple ingredients and pairs perfectly with the battered chicken.
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
- 1.5 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil, or other cooking oil
- Thinly sliced Green Onions, optional for garnish
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce, I used Low Sodium
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 1.5 tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar, light or dark
- 1.5 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes, optional to offset sweetness
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, cornstarch, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Use a fork or whisk to git rid of clumps. Add the chicken thigh pieces to the cornstarch-egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Cook the Chicken. Heat a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the canola oil. Swirl the oil around the skillet to coat the bottom. When the oil is very hot (shimmering, but not smoking), add the batter coated chicken pieces into a single layer. Do not just dump the bowl into the skillet because you don’t want the excess egg-mixture. Allow the chicken to cook, without moving, until golden brown on the bottom. Flip the chicken. Breaking up the clumps as needed. Cook until golden brown on all sides and cooked through. Avoid stirring the chicken too much or the coating will break off the chicken.
- Cook the Sauce. Once the chicken pieces are cooked, add in the sauce. Gently toss the chicken to coat and bring sauce to a simmer. The sauce will start to thicken. Allow to simmer for a few minutes until thickened to your desired consistency. Gently toss chicken again to coat.
- Serve and Enjoy. Serve with rice and sprinkle sliced green onions or extra sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Easy Sesame Chicken, Sesame Chicken Recipe, Healthier Sesame Chicken, Lighter Sesame Chicken