Summertime means the calendar is filled with barbecues, cookouts, block parties, pool parties you name it. It is the season of gathering with friends and family and eating outside. Because I know at least here in the Midwest, we EARN our warm weather. So gosh darn it we are going to make the most of it! I’m always looking for new and fun sides that I can bring along, bonus points if they are a a little healthy to balance out the burger AND hot dog I’m going to eat. Enter this Creamy Healthy Cucumber Salad. We’re swapping mayo for greek yogurt to make this totally guilt-free. We even use honey as our natural sweetener to help cut any acidity.
What You’ll Need for this Cucumber Salad:
- Thinly sliced cucumbers – a mandoline is GREAT for this.
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Plain greek yogurt and honey
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice for a little acidity and tang
- Fresh dill – one of my FAVE herbs to use in the spring and summer
- Garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
If you haven’t invested in a mandoline – I highly suggest you do. Although you certainly can use a knife and thinly slice the cucumbers by hand. A mandolin will save you so much time and possibly save your fingers! You can buy small handheld mandolines for CHEAP! This OXO slicer is under $15 AND Amazon Prime Eligible. Winning!
This salad comes together in no time. Mix up the creamy greek yogurt dressing then pour over the sliced cucumbers and red onion. Give everything a good toss and you’re good to go!
What’s your favorite side dish to bring to an outdoor barbecue? Let me know in the comments!
Creamy Cucumber Salad made healthy with greek yogurt and a little honey to sweeten. Perfect easy side dish for your next barbecue or cookout. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 2 medium cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I used nonfat, but use your favorite)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, make the greek yogurt dressing. Mix all ingredients except for the cucumbers and red onion together. Season with pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cucumber and red onion slices. Pour over the creamy dressing. Toss everything together and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: American