Guess what day it is? PRETZEL DAY! I like pretzel day. (My fellow Office fans out there get me?). These pretzels are simple to make, no lengthy rise times. They’re great as is, or go a little crazy and have them with some cheese or cinnamon sugar. What’s your preferred pretzel topping?
If you’re intimidated by the shaping of the pretzels, don’t be. They’ll take just as good whether they are perfectly shaped or poofy pretzel blobs. Trust me, no one will complain.
- 1 packet instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1.5 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted, and slightly cooled. )
- 3 3/4 – 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour (plus additional for kneading)
Baking Soda Bath
- 12 cups water
- 2/3 cups baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- sea salt (to sprinkle on pretzels)
- Whisk the yeast and warm water together. Let sit for about a minute then whisk in the salt, sugar, and melted butter
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour – about a cup at a time. Using either a spoon or the dough hook on your stand mixer. Slowly add more flour (up to 1 cup more) until the dough is no longer sticky and bounces back when poked.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead for 3-4 minutes and shape into a ball. Cover dough with a towel to rest.
- While the dough is resting, preheat the oven to 400° F. Prepare the baking soda bath. Bring the 12 cups of water and baking soda to a boil in a large pot.
- Cut the dough into thirds. Then cut each third into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long string of dough. About 18-20 inches long. Shape the dough rope into a pretzel by twisting the rope into a circle then bring the ends toward you and twist once. Press the ends into the dough. The longer and skinnier the rope of dough, the more pronounced the pretzel shape will be. If your dough rope is thicker then your pretzels will be puffier. Both awesome.
- Working in batches, drop the pretzels into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spatula and drip off excess water. Mix together the egg yolk and tablespoon of water and brush the pretzels with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the pretzels on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm as is, or with a side of cheese sauce. Alternatively brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. YUM!
- Category: Sides, Snack
- Cuisine: American