It’s no secret that the Slow Cooker is my meal prep weapon of choice. From cooking up a big roast or pot of soup on a Sunday, to using to prepare plain chicken to be used in different recipes throughout the week. My Slow Cooker saves. my. life. I love making a big batch of this shredded chicken on a Sunday to have for the week. I’ll toss it in salads, put in wraps, toss with some barbecue sauce to serve on sliders, put on top of a pizza.. The possibilities are endless. It’s meal prep without the boredom and repetition.
A super easy way to make shredded chicken without heating up your oven or standing over the stove. All you need is chicken breasts, salt and pepper, and a little oil. Set it and forget it. Perfect for meal prep to use in different recipes throughout the week.
- 2–3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth (optional. To ensure moist chicken)
- other spices (paprika, dried herbs, etc.) (optional )
- In the slow cooker liner, add the chicken breasts. Drizzle with olive oil and season the breasts liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Add liquid if using. Cook on Low for 4-5 hours or on High for 2-3 hours. The chicken breasts are done when the internal temperature measures 165 degrees F. Check the temperature early in the time range to make sure you don’t overcook the chicken and dry it out.
- Remove the breasts from the slow cooker and shred with two forks or with the paddle attachment of your stand mixer.. Eat right away or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container to use throughout the week.
You can use more chicken breasts if you’d like. The breasts don’t need to be in one layer, it’s okay to pile them on top of each other. You just may need to increase the cooking time to make sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American