Is there anything better than a sizzling hot cast iron skillet filled with the fixings of fajitas. I love piling warm tortillas with perfectly charred peppers and meat. But you know what I don’t love? Having to heat up my oven when it’s already a billion degrees outside. Enter our favorite friend, the instant pot.
The peppers and onions cook at the same time as the chicken thighs making this super simple and easy. The chicken thighs keep things nice and moist (sorry). But the real game changer here is the foil packet. If you put your peppers and onions in the pot straight with the chicken then they will get verrrryyyyyy soft. And for fajitas, we want them to have a little bit of texture left. Wrapping them in a foil packet keeps them from overcooking without having to cook them separately like some recipes call for. Serve these up simple as is, or pile with all your favorite toppings.
Easy chicken fajitas with peppers and onions that cook up in the Instant Pot all at once. The fajita seasoning has just enough kick from the cayenne and by using chicken thighs everything stays nice and moist. We cook the peppers and onions in a foil packet to keep them from getting overcooked and too soft. Serve with warm tortillas and all the toppings of your choice!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into slices
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- aluminum foil
- corn or flour tortillas (for serving, warmed)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix up the Fajita Seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Place the chicken thighs in the Instant Pot liner in one layer. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning over the top. Add in your water or broth.
- Make the foil packet. In the center of the large piece of foil, mound the sliced peppers and onions. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold the edges up to form a packet. If your piece of foil isn’t big enough to seal all the edges you can use another piece of foil to double wrap.
- Place the foil packet on top of the chicken thighs. Close the lid of the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing, and select Manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the Pot is done cooking, allow to natural release for 3-5 minutes and then quick release.
- Carefully remove the foil packet and set on a large plate or baking sheet (remember the bottom will be messy). Remove the chicken thighs and shred with two forks.
- Serve with warm tortillas and additional toppings of your choice. Leftover chicken and peppers and onions can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
I like a looooot of peppers and onions in my fajitas. I use the Instant Pot Duo 8qt so I have no issues fitting the large packet of peppers and onions. If you are using a smaller IP, you may want to only do 2 peppers if you’re worried about fitting the packet.
- Category: Instant Pot, Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican