Instant Pot Salsa Chicken and Rice is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or meal prep for the week. Made with primarily pantry ingredients in just about 30 minutes, I love this one pot meal since the chicken and rice cook all at once. No need to cook up the rice separately and dirty another pot. Easy clean up. Easy healthy meal. Win, win, win!
Why I love this Instant Pot Salsa Chicken:
- Instant Pot – Whether you’re an IP newbie or having been using a pressure cooker for years, you can’t deny how magical a good Instant Pot recipe is.
- One Pot – The entire meal is made in the Instant Pot at once! No cooking the rice separately. The chicken and rice cook all together then you just stir in the canned beans at the end.
- 30 Minute Meal – The cook time itself is only 6 minutes so even when you add in the time it takes to come to pressure and the time to release pressure, the whole meal only takes about 30 minutes.
- Pantry Staples – You likely have all the ingredients on hand!
- Meal Prep Friendly – I love packaging this up in individual meal prep containers to have as easy healthy lunches and dinners throughout the week.
- Healthy and Clean – An easy meal that you can feel good about.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Olive Oil
- Salsa – Use your favorite! I like to use a Medium chunky salsa.
- Chicken Breasts – Cut into chunks so it cooks in the same time as the rice.
- Spices: Cumin, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano, Cayenne Pepper, Salt
- Black Beans – canned is perfect.
- Fresh Cilantro – To add some color and brightness! It’s okay to omit if you’re in a pinch and don’t want to run to the store.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken and Rice is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or meal prep for the week. Made with pantry ingredients in just 30 minutes, I love this easy and healthy one pot meal. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com #instantpot #onepotmeal #instantpotchicken #instantpotrice #salsachicken
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- 14 ounces salsa (About 1.5 cups)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 2 large breasts. Each breast cut into 4 chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Add to Instant Pot. To your Instant Pot, add the oil, the chicken and pour over the salsa. Sprinkle the spices over the salsa then sprinkle the rice on top. Finally pour over the water, but don’t stir. We want most of the rice to be on top vs on the bottom the pot (to avoid getting a BURN notice).
- Pressure Cook. Lock the Instant Pot lid, set to sealing, and cook on Manual High Pressure for 8 minutes. Allow to Natural Release for 5 minutes then Quick Release the steam. Turn off the Instant Pot
- Shred Chicken. Remove the chicken pieces and shred with two forks or leave as chunks, if you prefer. Stir the black beans into the rice and add back in the chicken or serve on the side. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Salsa – Use your favorite salsa! I like to use Medium salsa, but use Mild if you want less spice.
Instant Pot – I used the 8qt Instant Pot Duo
- Category: Instant Pot, Main Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Rice, Instant Pot Chicken Rice, Salsa Chicken and Rice