Easy Pumpkin Baked Ziti is a fun spin on the Italian classic! Canned pumpkin puree pairs with the sausage and sage to create an easy fall dinner. Best part? This baked pumpkin pasta can be baked in the same skillet that you make the sauce.
- 12 ounces ziti or rigatoni Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Prep – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and boil a pot of water to cook the pasta.
- Cook Sausage and Onion – Heat a large (12-inch) oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the sausage and diced onion. Cook, while crumbling the sausage, until the sausage is browned and the onions are soft.
- Cook the Pasta – While the sausage is cooking, cook the pasta according to the box directions until al dente.
- Finish Sauce – Lower the heat of the skillet to medium-low and add the garlic and spices. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the vegetable stock, scraping any bits off the bottom, then add the pumpkin puree. Stir until the sauce is combined and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in about 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese and allow the sauce to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Bake – Turn off the heat and gently fold in the cooked pasta to the sauce. If your skillet isn’t big enough you can transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.
- Serve – Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with extra chopped sage and parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Category: Main, Pasta
- Method: One-Pot, Oven, Stove
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Baked Ziti, Baked Pumpkin Pasta, Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage