When I was younger, I didn’t fully appreciate caprese salad. I didn’t get the hype. I just would pick out the mozarella and leave the tomato and basil. Fast forward, now it’s one of my favorite combinations. The caprese spin on this quinoa gives those great flavors in an easy to toss together, healthy, and filling side or main dish. This recipe makes a big bowl, so it’s perfect to keep in the fridge as a side (or whole meal) throughout the week.
A fresh and refreshing salad that will also fill you up. Perfect as a meal of its own or as a side alongside some grilled chicken. Great option to bring to your next potluck.
- 1 cup dry quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 8 oz mozerella pearls (halved or left whole)
- 10–15 fresh basil leaves (torn into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook the quinoa. Bring the water and dry quinoa to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients to the bowl with the quinoa and fold together. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature or cold. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday, Sides
- Cuisine: Italian