Caramel Apple Thumbprint Cookies
Is there anything better than the start of fall baking?! Give me all the cookies, cakes, and breads. ESPECIALLY if they’re of the apple or pumpkin variety. I love these Caramel Apple Thumbprint Cookies. They’re like the perfect combination of snickerdoodles and caramel apples. Scroll on for how to make this easy caramel cookie recipe.
Steps to make these Caramel Cookies:
- Mix up the cookie dough. It’s very similar to a sugar cookie or snickerdoodle dough. Your mixer does most of the work 🙂
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll in a apple pie spice/sugar mixture. Just like you do with snickerdoodle cookies.
- Use the end of a spatula or your finger to press indents in each dough ball (see picture below).
- Chill the shaped cookies for at least 2 hours.
- Bake the cookies then remove from oven and spoon caramel into the indents. Return to the oven for another minute or two.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
What is Apple Pie Spice:
- Apple Pie Spice is a sweet blend of spices that will remind you of a slice of apple pie
- Many grocery stores carry it, this is the blend I have
- If you can’t find it in your store, you can make it yourself! Blend ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. See the recipe note for the ratio.
These Caramel Apple Thumbprint Cookies are PERFECT for the transition into fall. Spiced with the flavors of apple pie – cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom. Rolled in a spiced sugar mixture just like your favorite snickerdoodle cookies. Filled with a caramel sauce.