Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of spaghetti? I love a perfect bolognese that simmers for hours just as much as the next person. But, sometimes it’s 5pm and I’m just plain hangry. Enter, my go-to Simple Chunky Spaghetti Sauce. This sauce uses just a few ingredients that I ALWAYS have on hand. AND, it only needs to simmer for 20 minutes or so. Just long enough for you to cook up your noodles.
What You’ll Need
- 1lb of Ground Beef (feel free to sub ground turkey or sausage too)
- 1 big onion
- Minced garlic
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of tomato sauce
- A few essentials: olive oil and spices
Not only does this spaghetti sauce take only a few pantry ingredients, it’s all made in one pot. Start by sautéing the onion. Once softened, push to the side and add the ground beef. Brown and crumble the beef and then add our garlic and red pepper flakes. A lot of recipes tell you to add the garlic in with the onions, but I humbly disagree! Garlic can burn so easily and only takes a minute or so to become softened and fragrant. So I always add my garlic in at the end of sautéing. The final step.. just dump in your canned tomatoes, spices, and stir it all up. Pop the lid on to partially cover the pot and allow to simmer to let everything thicken up and combine.
While the sauce is simmering away, you can prep your noodle of choice. I used zucchini noodles spiraled with my Inspiralizer. But, classic ol’ spaghetti is ALWAYS a good idea. Spaghetti squash is another fabulous choice. No matter what pasta or noodle you pick, this sauce will pair perfectly.
Will you serve yours with a veggie noodle or is it a classic pasta kind of night?
Filling and comforting, this Simple Chunky Spaghetti Sauce satisfies your bolognese craving without needing hours simmering on the stove. Using just a few pantry ingredients and just 30 minutes of cook time. Perfect weeknight meal. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced or crushed garlic (3–4 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for a little heat – omit if preferred)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- pasta or noodles of choice (for serving)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-large pot, dutch oven, or deep skillet or medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes until slightly softened. Add the ground beef and crumble and brown the meat until fully cooked (no longer pink). Season with salt and pepper to taste. When cooked, add the garlic and red bell pepper flakes (I like to make a little well in the middle). Cook for 30 seconds to a minute until the garlic is softened and fragrant, but not burnt.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried basil, dried oregano, and more salt & pepper. Stir everything together, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Allow sauce to come to a simmer, lower the heat to low, and cover the pot partially with a lid. Let simmer 15-30 minutes to let the sauce thicken and combine.
- Serve with pasta or noodles of your choice.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian