Slow Cooker Carnitas are easy to make, feed a crowd, and perfect in tacos! The carnitas meat is fall apart tender but also has some crispy edges – the texture and flavor is out of this world.
- 4–5 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
- 2 small-medium white or yellow onions, quartered
- Season Pork – Start by drying the pork shoulder then rubbing all over with the carnitas seasoning mix.
- Add to Crockpot – To the slow cooker liner, add the remaining ingredients (citrus juices, garlic, chipotle peppers, onion) and mix together. Place the seasoned pork on top.
- Slow Cooker – Close the slow cooker lid and cook on Low for 8-9 hours. Give it a flip halfway through, but otherwise leave the crockpot lid closed. The pork is done when it easily shreds and falls apart.
- Shred Pork Carnitas – Carefully transfer the pork to a sheet pan (leaving juices in the cork pot) and shred. You can discard any large pieces of fat. Spread out the shredded pork evenly onto the sheet pan.
- Broil – Preheat the broiler to High. Drizzle the shredded pork with about 1/2 cup of the leftover juices. Broil for about 5 minutes until there are some crispy edges.
- Serve – Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Main
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: slow cooker carnitas, slow cooker pork carnitas, easy pork carnitas