Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a staple recipe you need in your arsenal. A warm and comforting soup with Mexican-inspired flavors. Slight smokiness from the fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and spices. And just the right amount of kick from the cayenne pepper and diced tomatoes with green chiles. Did I mention that this soup is filling too? It’s chock full of fiber and protein from the chicken, corn, beans, and bell pepper. And of course, all that COLOR.
Once you start making soup in your slow cooker, it’s so hard to go back to making on the stove top. Especially when it’s a simple recipe like this – just dump in your ingredients, set and forget it. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Once done, all you have to do is shred up your chicken, mix in the lime juice and cilantro, and serve.
Once you’re ready to dive in, don’t forget to add some toppings! I love diced avocado or a big dollop of sour cream for some creaminess and crushed tortilla chips for extra crunch. Go crazy!
It’s perfect to either dump before going to work in the morning and coming home to a hot meal. Or, I like to have it working on Sunday when I’m meal prepping for the week.Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a staple recipe that uses pantry staples to bring Mexican-inspired flavors in a warm, comforting, and filling bowl of soup.
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 14.5oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fire roasted corn (I buy frozen kernels but you could also use a can of corn kernels)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large breasts)
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as rotel)
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth (2 cans or 1 32oz box)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne peper (optional – for spice. You can lower the amount to 1/4 teaspoon if desired.)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, chopped cilantro (optional toppings)
- Add all ingredients except for the lime and cilantro to the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add the shredded chicken back to the soup and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican