Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a staple recipe that uses pantry staples to bring Mexican-inspired flavors in a warm, comforting, and filling bowl of soup.
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 14.5oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fire roasted corn (I buy frozen kernels but you could also use a can of corn kernels)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large breasts)
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as rotel)
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth (2 cans or 1 32oz box)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne peper (optional – for spice. You can lower the amount to 1/4 teaspoon if desired.)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, chopped cilantro (optional toppings)
- Add all ingredients except for the lime and cilantro to the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Add the shredded chicken back to the soup and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican