Drop Sugar Cookies that are soft, chewy, and filled with lots of sprinkles. No rolling or cutting. Just roll the easy cookie dough into balls and bake.
I love a traditional cutout sugar cookie in fun shapes to correspond with the season. But sometimes, you just don't have the time. Thanks to the extra sprinkles, these drop sugar cookies are just as festive!
Tips to make these Drop Sugar Cookies:
- Use Room Temperature Butter and Eggs: Room temp butter is ESSENTIAL for creaming with the sugar. It's impossible to successful cream cold butter. But you don't want your butter too soft either. If you press the butter with your finger, it makes an indent but doesn't sink easily into the butter. The butter is still cool to the touch but not hard and cold like butter straight from the fridge. Room temperature eggs are also important as they also incorporate easier and provide more volume.
- Chill the Dough after Rolling into Balls. Chilling the cookie dough is key to prevent the cookies from spreading. Chilling the dough after rolling into balls makes it easier to roll the dough into balls. Chilled dough can be too difficult to successfully roll.
- When in Doubt, Under Bake instead of Over Bake. The cookies are done when the edges are slightly golden but the centers still look soft. Once removing from the oven, let them cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. They will continue to set up in this time.
You have the freedom to add as few or as many sprinkles as you'd like! I like to add about ⅓-1/2 cup to the dough itself AND roll the balls in more sprinkles.
Store the cookie dough balls in the fridge for at least 2 hours to chill or for up to 3 days. These are a perfect make-ahead cookie option. Once ready to bake, just preheat the oven and pop the chilled dough balls onto parchment lined baking sheets.
Sprinkle Drop Sugar Cookies
Drop Sugar Cookies that are soft, chewy and filled with lots of sprinkles. No rolling or cutting. Just roll the simple cookie dough into balls and bake. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 157 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ - ½ cup sprinkles (plus extra for rolling if desired)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer with a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high. About 1 minute until creamed. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix on high speed until combined - 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom as needed.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter. Mix on low until combined. Slowly beat in the sprinkles (use ½ cup if you like LOTS of sprinkles). The cookie dough will be sticky and thick.
- Scoop and roll the dough into balls (about 1.5-2 tablespoons). If desired, roll the dough balls in more sprinkles. Place on a plate and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (up to 3 days).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Place the chilled dough balls on the baking sheets, about 2-3 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look soft.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.
Freezing: Make the cookie dough, roll into balls and freeze for up to 3 months. Frozen dough balls can be baked from frozen without thawing, but they will need an extra minute or two of bake time.
Sprinkles: Use your favorite! But avoid using nonpareils as they will bleed their color into the cookie dough. If you prefer, you could omit the sprinkles all together for plain drop sugar cookies.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 112
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 34.3 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 21.5 mg
Keywords: Drop Sugar cookies, Easy Sugar cookies, Sprinkle Sugar cookies