Ya’ll know that I LOVE a good egg bake! Normally, I like them with lots of cheese like my Easy Cheesy Overnight Egg Bake and my Easy Sausage Biscuit Egg Bake. But I wanted to make an egg bake that was filled with lots of flavor, but cheese-less for my dairy-free friends. This Taco Egg Bake is colorful, flavorful and perfect for a weekend morning breakfast or to use as meal prep throughout the week.
I did my first ever Whole30 in January. And although I missed soooo many foods and is not something I would do long term, it had its advantages. It did serve as a good healthy rest for me after the holidays. And, it forced me to be a little more creative in the kitchen. Just because I couldn’t eat grains, sugar, dairy, legumes, etc. didn’t mean I was willing to sacrifice flavor.
Thus, our Taco Egg Bake was born. I think my favorite thing about this egg bake is how COLORFUL it is. In a world where we are obsessed with posting a picture of everything we eat (um guilty! see evidence at my instagram), presentation is so important. We eat with our eyes.
What you’ll need for this Whole30 Egg Bake:
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning (compliant if on Whole30)
- Bell Pepper
Before assembling the egg bake, we brown and sauté all the layers. Start with the ground beef, because we then use the leftover fat to cook the rest. The potatoes, bell peppers and onion all get some browning action. Then into the baking dish! The taco seasoning is whisked into the egg mixture before being poured over everything. Once it is all assembled, into the oven she goes!
The taco egg bake should take about 30-35 minutes to be fully cooked and set.
This Taco Egg Bake is colorful, flavorful and perfect for a weekend morning breakfast or to use as meal prep throughout the week. Whole30 compliant and paleo. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 bell pepper (color of choice, diced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 20 oz hashbrowns (storebosugh, or take potatoes and grate them your self)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cups water
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Heat medium-large skillet to medium-high heat. Cook the ground beef. Browning and crumbling as it cooks. When fully cooked, remove ground beef with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the skillet. Set beef aside.
- To same skillet, keep the remaining fat in the pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil and add the hashbrowns. Press into an even layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes and then flip and cook for an additional 4-5. The hash browns should be softened and lightly browned. Transfer to the baking dish into a layer.
- In same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and add the peppers and onions. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened. Pour over the hash brown layer.
- Then sprinkled the ground beef over the top. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, and taco seasoning. Pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the scallions and tomatoes on top of the egg mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven. The egg bake will be set.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mexican