Taste of springtime in a flatbread pizza. Creamy goat cheese melted on top of perfectly blistered tomatoes and thinly sliced zucchini.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- olive oil or cooking spray (for greasing)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus additional for drizzling)
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced thin into rounds)
- 4–6 ounces goat cheese (crumbles or a log broken into crumbles by hand)
- fresh basil (optional, for topping)
- Mix up the dough. In a medium bowl, add the yeast and sugar and pour over the warm water. Stir together with a fork. Let sit for 5 minutes. The yeast will foam. If your mixture does not foam, start over with new yeast.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and olive oil. The dough will be thick and shaggy. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 3-4 minutes. The dough will come together into a smooth bowl. If dough is too sticky to work with, add additional flour just 1 tablespoon at a time. Transfer the dough ball to a large greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place aside to rise.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400° F. Place the halved tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to combine. Season with salt. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. While the tomatoes are roasting, is a great time to slice your zucchini and crumble your goat cheese. The tomatoes are done when they are blistered and roasted. Remove from oven, and increase the oven temp to 450°F.
- After the 45 minute rest time for the dough, it should be doubled in size. Punch down the dough and divide into two pieces. Place one piece on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper (cut to the size that fits your baking sheet). Using your hands (or a floured rolling pin) shape and stretch the dough into a 1/4 inch thick oval (or whatever shape ya want!). Repeat with the second piece.
- Prepare the flatbreads. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet (keeping on parchment paper). Pierce the shaped doughs several times with a fork. Lightly drizzle with olive (about 1/2 teaspoon per flatbread) and top with the tomatoes, sliced zucchinis, and crumbled goat cheese. Bake in the 450°F oven for 15-20 minutes. The crust and toppings will be slightly browned to your taste. Sprinkle with the fresh basil if using.
- Cut into slices and serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For best results, reheat leftovers in the oven not microwave.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian