The Best Slow Cooker Pot Roast with an easy, but delicious homemade gravy. Turn a chuck roast into a comforting, Sunday dinner.
- 5 medium carrots (peeled or scrubbed and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 5 stalks celery (scrubbed, ends discarded and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 large yellow or white onion (cut into 1/2 inch wedges)
- 3 cloves garlic (mashed)
- 4 lb beef chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (for coating roast)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- Prep -Prepare and chop the vegetables. Add the veggies to the slow cooker.
- Season Roast - Pat the chuck roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 2-3 teaspoons of salt and 1-2 teaspoons of pepper. Coat roast on all sides in the flour and shake off the excess
- Brown Roast - Heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil and pan is hot, brown the roast on all sides. About 10 minutes total.
- Add to Slow Cooker - Transfer browned roast to slow cooker on top of the veggies.
- Start Gravy - To the same skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the tomato paste, stirring and cooking until dark red. About 1 minute. Add the 1/3 cup of flour and red wine. Whisk until thick.
- Finish Gravy - Add beef broth, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a generous pinch of pepper. Bring to a simmer while whisking until it is smooth and thickens slightly. About 3-5 minutes.
Cook the Roast
- Add to Slow Cooker - Pour gravy into slow cooker over the roast and vegetables. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Vegetables - Remove the roast and let rest. Remove thyme and bay leaves, discard. Use a slotted spoon to separate the vegetables into a bowl. Toss the vegetables with the fresh parsley and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Cut Roast - Slice the roast against the grain or use two forks to shred into big chunks. Serve on a platter with the bowl of vegetables and the gravy on the side.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 480 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Slow Cooker
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Slow Cooker Pot Roast, Pot Roast with Gravy, Crockpot Pot Roast