Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats are so simple to make and let you control what your dog is eating. Just peanut butter, pumpkin, whole wheat flour, and eggs. Such an easy recipe to make doggy cookies that your furry best friend will love.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter, dog safe
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, plus additional as needed
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Make the dough. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer and a large bowl, beat the pumpkin puree, peanut butter, and eggs on medium-high until combined. This will take 1-2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and slowly add the flour, mixing until just incorporated. If needed, add additional flour until the dough is not sticky and the texture of cookie dough (this depends on the moisture level of your peanut butter and pumpkin).
- Roll and cut treats. On a lightly floured surface, gently knead and press the dough together a few times until it comes together. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake until the edges are golden brown and fully set. About 20-30 minutes, depending on size and thickness. I’ve found that my dog prefers treats to be crunchy and hard vs chewy. So you will bake these treats longer than you would ‘human cookies’. When done, they should look well past set, but not burnt. But bake them according to your dog’s preference.
- Allow to cool. Allow to fully cool – the treats will crisp up once they cool.
Peanut Butter – Do not use peanut butter that contains xylitol, this is toxic to dogs and often found in low-sugar/sugar-free products. I prefer to use natural peanut butter that is just ground peanuts.
Flour – I prefer to use whole wheat flour as it has more nutrients, but regular all-purpose flour is fine.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Homemade dog treats, homemade pumpkin dog treats, homemade peanut butter dog treats, dog treat recipe