Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala is perfect for meatless Monday or for healthy vegan meal prep for the week. Using pantry staple ingredients like canned coconut milk to make it creamy but dairy-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1.5 tablespoons garam masala spice blend, can substitute tikka masala spice blend
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional, for added spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 4oz can tomato paste
- 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes, normal diced tomatoes can be subbed
- 2 14oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14oz can coconut milk, full fat or reduced fat
- Cooked White Rice, for serving
- Cook Rice – First, start your rice cooking. Follow package directions.
- Sauté Onion – Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the diced onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until tender and translucent.
- Cook Aromatics – Lower heat to medium. Add the garlic, ginger, Garam Masala, cayenne pepper, and salt. Sauté for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Simmer – Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, if needed, and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Serve – Serve with the cooked rice and top with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
The leftovers can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Chickpea Tikka Masala, Vegan Tikka Masala