Happy Meatless Monday! Another chickpea recipe to the rescue. Many of you have been loving my Spicy Tomato Chickpeas with Quinoa recipe, that I was feeling inspired to make some other meal prep friendly, vegan but filling, chickpea recipes. Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala makes a big enough batch for 4-6 servings aka one for lunch or dinner for all week long. It uses pantry staple ingredients, requires very little prep, and comes together quickly.
Pantry Ingredients Needed:
- Olive Oil
- Garama Masala or Tikka Masala spice blend – read below for tips on this!
- Ground Cayenne Pepper – omit if you don’t like a little heat.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes – I prefer petite diced for this recipe, but regular diced will work just fine.
- Can of Tomato Paste
- Canned Chickpeas
- Can of Coconut Milk
- Rice for serving
Easy Steps to make the Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala:
- Start by sautéing the onion in olive oil.
- Once the onions are tender, add the garlic, ginger, and spices. Saute for another minute. This brings out the flavor of the spices and lets the garlic and ginger cook.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Stir together and bring to a simmer.
- Allow the chickpeas to simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with rice or other grain, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, and enjoy!
Garam Masala or Tikka Masala Seasoning Blend – Where to find it:
- Check in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store.
- Visit out your local ethnic supermarket. If you’re in the Twin Cities area, I buy a lot of my global spices and other ethnic ingredients at Bill’s Imported Foods in the Lyn-Lake neighborhood of Minneapolis. So many spice and seasoning blend options for an affordable price.
- Not wanting to make a special trip? You can make the seasoning blend yourself using some staple spices. Here’s a great recipe to make your own blend.
Vegan Chickpea Tikka Masala is perfect for meatless Monday or for healthy vegan meal prep for the week. Using pantry staple ingredients like canned coconut milk to make it creamy but dairy-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1.5 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1.5 tablespoons garam masala spice blend, can substitute tikka masala spice blend
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional, for added spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 4oz can tomato paste
- 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes, normal diced tomatoes can be subbed
- 2 14oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14oz can coconut milk, full fat or reduced fat
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked according to package directions. For serving.
- chopped cilantro. Optional, for serving
- First, start your rice cooking. Follow package directions.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the diced onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until tender and translucent.
- Lower heat to medium. Add the garlic, ginger, Garam Masala, cayenne pepper, and salt. Sauté for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, if needed, and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Serve with the cooked rice and top with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
The leftovers can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Cuisine: Indian