Greek Chickpea Mason Jar Salads are an easy and healthy meal prep. An easy homemade Greek salad dressing topped with chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, feta, and romaine lettuce. This Salad in a Jar recipe is perfect for easy weekday lunches!
Ingredients for this Greek Chickpea Mason Jar Salad Recipe:
- Canned Chickpeas
- Red Onion – the raw red onion slightly soaks in the Greek vinaigrette which helps remove some of the bitter bite that raw onion often has
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Romaine Lettuce
- Feta – omit to make vegan
- Greek Salad Dressing: Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, Salt and Pepper
How to Layer a Mason Jar Salad:
Properly layering the salad ingredients is KEY to having the salads last for days in the fridge without anything getting soggy.
- Dressing – This always goes in the bottom so you can separate it from ingredients to keep things nice and crisp.
- Proteins – This recipe is vegetarian, so we’re using chickpeas as the protein but you could add something like chicken in this layer as well.
- Vegetables – Any veggies that aren’t leafy greens. For this salad recipe, I like to layer the red onions first so they soak in the dressing. This helps take away some of the ‘bite’ from the raw onion.
- Grains – No grains in this recipe, but you could add some (such as cooked quinoa) if you’d like!
- Leafy Greens – These always go last so they are the furthest away from the dressing. For this salad in a jar we’re using chopped romaine, but you could substitute a different lettuce.
Check out this Quick Video!
Recipe Tips and FAQs:
Time Saving Tip! You can use store-bought Greek Salad Dressing
Although this Greek Salad Dressing recipe is super easy and uses pantry ingredients, you can absolutely use a store-bought dressing if you’d like.
Just add 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing for each jar.
Do I have to use mason jars?
I like to use mason jars for a few reasons..
- They easily keep the dressing and other ingredients separated allowing the salads to last several days in the fridge
- Glass = no staining or keeping smells like plastic does
- And dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
You can use a different container, but you may need to put the dressing in its own individual container and the ingredients may not stay as crisp and fresh.
How long can these salads last for meal prep?
In the mason jars, the salads keep for 4-5 days in the fridge.
By the 5th day, the veggies may lose some of their crispness, but will still taste great and be perfectly fine to eat.
I typically make 4 salads on a Sunday to eat for lunch Monday-Thursday.
What about ingredient substitutions?
You can omit any ingredient you like! Go ahead and add more of something or add a different veggie, protein, or grain.
As long as you follow the layering ‘rules’ stated above, it will still be great.
What size of mason jar?
This recipes uses large quart sized mason jars or 32oz mason jars. They are big and make large, very filling salads.
You could use pint (16oz) sized jars and make 8 salads instead of 4. This is good option if you want the salads to be the side, instead of the main course.
Where can I buy mason jars?
You can find mason jars at many stores! Most grocery stores will carry them, at a store like Target or Walmart, even hardware stores.
Or of course you can find them online!
Is this recipe vegan?
It can be! Just omit the feta or use a vegan substitute.
Looking for other healthy mason jar salad ideas?
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! Click Here!Print
Greek Chickpea Mason Jar Salads are an easy and healthy meal prep. An easy homemade Greek salad dressing topped with chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, feta, and romaine lettuce. Perfect for easy weekday lunches!
Mason Jar Salad Ingredients
- 1 13.5oz can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large Cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 4oz crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 small Red Onion, diced
- 4–6 cups chopped Romaine Lettuce
Greek Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Prepare the Salad Ingredients. Chop, dice, and slice the salad ingredients.
- Make the Dressing. In a medium bowl (or shaken up in a small jar) mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon Mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix or shake until fully combined.
- Assemble the Mason Jar Salads. First, divide the dressing evenly among the jars. Then evenly divide the chickpeas. Followed by the red onion. Followed by the cucumber and tomatoes. Next, add the feta and finally fill to the top with the chopped romaine lettuce.
- Seal the jars and store in the fridge until ready to eat. When ready to eat, dump the contents into a bowl or plate and toss together. Enjoy!
Prepared Mason Jar Salads can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- Category: Salads
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Greek Salad Dressing Recipe, Mason Jar Salad Ideas, Mason Jar Salad Recipes, Salad in a Jar, Greek Chickpea Salad, Greek Salad Recipe