Spicy Tomato Chickpeas with Quinoa are meal prep friendly, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, but still packed with protein. Great eaten cold and reheats well, this is your solution to busy weekday lunches. And the kick from the pepper flakes make it anything but boring. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com #spicychickpeabowls #chickpeabowls #veganmealprep #healthymealprep #meatlessmealprep #chickpearecipes
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
Spicy Tomato Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (small diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced. or about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 14oz cans petite diced tomatoes (can sub normal diced tomatoes. Fire roasted diced tomatoes are another great option!)
- 2 14oz cans chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2–1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on spice preference. Feel free to omit if )
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- spinach or arugula (optional for serving)
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. In a small pot, bring the rinsed quinoa and water to a boil on medium-high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the tomato chickpeas. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. When shimmering, but not smoking, add the diced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until translucent and slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds – 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant and softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the onions. Stir together well and simmer for 10 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken up a bit. Adjust the red pepper flakes for spice level.
- Assemble the bowls with the quinoa and chickpea mixture. If using for meal prep, I like to use airtight glass containers. Enjoy!
Whenever I open a can of tomato paste, I freeze it in 1 tablespoon dollops on a baking sheet then toss in a ziptop bag. Then when the need arises I just grab a frozen chunk and toss it in. No more waste.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Cuisine: American