Spicy Tomato Chickpeas with Quinoa will be your new favorite vegan meal prep recipe! It uses pantry staples and takes just 30 minutes to make start to finish. Perfect for quick lunches and dinners throughout the week. Healthy, easy, and budget friendly too!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
Spicy Tomato Chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 14oz cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, can substitute regular diced tomatoes
- 2 15oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2–1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, depending on spice preference
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- spinach or arugula, optional for serving
- Cook the Quinoa. Cook the quinoa according to package directions. In a small pot, bring the rinsed quinoa and water (or broth) to a boil on medium-high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Start the Spicy Chickpeas. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the tomato chickpeas. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. When shimmering, but not smoking, add the diced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until translucent and slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds – 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant and softened.
- Finish the Spicy Chickpeas. Add the remaining ingredients to the onions. Stir together well and simmer for 10 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken up a bit. Adjust the red pepper flakes for spice level.
- Assemble the Bowls. Assemble the bowls with the quinoa, chickpeas, and spinach/arugula if using. Enjoy!
Tomato Paste – Whenever I open a can of tomato paste, I freeze it in 1 tablespoon dollops on a baking sheet then toss in a ziptop bag. Then when the need arises I just grab a frozen chunk and toss it in. No more waste.
Leftovers – Leftovers can be store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spicy Chickpeas, Chickpea Quinoa Meal Prep, Spicy Chickpea Bowls, Spicy Tomato Chickpeas, Vegan Meal Prep, Vegan Pantry Recipe