Pumpkin + Alfredo Sauce + Pasta = Fall Dinner of your DREAMS! This creamy pumpkin pasta is surprisingly easy to make. In the time it takes you to cook your pasta, you can make a creamy pumpkin sauce. Don’t forget the toasted herb walnuts to sprinkle on top. They add the perfect crunch.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Butter. I prefer unsalted, but salted works too. You’ll be able to adjust the salt you add to taste.
- Minced Garlic
- Pumpkin Puree. Not Pumpkin Pie filling
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth. This helps thin out the sauce without needing to add more cream. The sauce is still super creamy but slightly less rich.
- Heavy Cream. Hello rich, creamy pasta
- Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Ground Nutmeg. Just a pinch of nutmeg adds a nice nuttiness to Alfredo sauce that helps compliment the cream and parmesan. It’s a double win in this pumpkin sauce because nutmeg pairs wonderfully with pumpkin.
- Pasta – I prefer a short noodle, like farfalle or penne
- Herbed Walnuts
Tips and Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use a different type of pasta?
Absolutely! You can use any pasta you’d like.
Can I add a protein?
Yes! Chicken would be a great addition.
What can I do with the leftover pumpkin puree?
Extra pumpkin puree can be stored in an airtight container or bag (not in the can) in the fridge for 3-4 days, or frozen for months. Here are some recipes to use it in:
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Energy Bars
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Doggy Ice-Cream
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Bars – from Olive and Artisan
This recipe is featured in a roundup of Best Pumpkin Recipes. Check it out!Print
Pumpkin + Alfredo Sauce + Pasta = Fall Dinner of your DREAMS! This creamy pumpkin pasta is surprisingly easy to make. Don’t forget the toasted herb walnuts to sprinkle on top. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 lb pasta (farfalle, rigatoni, penne)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese, not the stuff from a can
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped*)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (adjust to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat Oven. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Toast Walnuts. Place chopped walnuts on a baking sheet in an even layer. Toast in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes until lightly golden and fragrant. Be careful not to over toast. Remove from oven.
- Make the Herbed Walnuts. Toss the toasted walnuts with melted butter, rosemary, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Place back in the oven for about a minute so everything gets nice and toasty, melty, and combined. Remove and set aside.
- Cook the Pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Start the Pumpkin Alfredo sauce. Heat a very large deep skillet or dutch oven on medium heat. Add the butter. Once melted add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Just a minute or two. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the Pumpkin. Add the pumpkin puree and broth. Stir together and simmer until smooth.
- Finish the Sauce. Stir in the cream, parmesan, salt, and nutmeg. Simmer for 2 to 4 minutes until smooth and coats the back of a spoon. Season with pepper. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Turn off heat.
- Toss Pasta. Toss the cooked pasta into the pumpkin sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy. Serve pasta in bowls with a good sprinkle of herbed walnuts on top.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
*To finely chop the walnuts you can either use a sharp knife or give a few pulses in the food processor.
- Category: Main Dish, Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pumpkin Pasta, Pumpkin Alfredo Pasta, Fall Pumpkin Pasta, Fall Alfredo Pasta