You need to make this One Pot Spicy Sausage Pasta. The rigatoni noodles cook right in the spicy Italian sausage sauce that has both crushed tomatoes and basil pesto. One Pot Pasta is your solution to an easy and comforting dinner. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for extra heat)
- 2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup pesto (divided)
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 2–3 cups shredded kale
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a very large pot, oven safe is preferred, like a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add the sausage, crumble and cook until browned.
- Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook for about 30 seconds until garlic is fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes, water, 1/2 cup of the pesto, and the pasta. Add a heavy pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Stir together.
- Bring to a simmer/gentle boil (you may need to increase the heat to medium-high). Stir occasionally (carefully!) to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom. Cook for 8-10 minutes until pasta is just al dente.
- Remove from heat. If you’re not using an oven safe pot, transfer to a baking dish. Drizzle remaining 1/4 cup of pesto on top of the pasta and top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and starting to brown. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Spicy Italian Sausage – If you don’t like spicy, go ahead and use mild Italian sausage. I used pork, but you could sub chicken sausage if you prefer.
- Rigatoni Pasta – You can substitute penne or farfalle as well.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes – Optional, for extra heat.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian