Oh my goodness. This Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake is one of those recipes that make me wish smells could be transported via screen. From the apples and the cinnamon sugar, it smells. SO. GOOD. Pure Fall. It’s extra moist and loaded with fresh apple chunks. And don’t forget about the crunchy cinnamon sugar topping.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Brown Sugar – either light or dark works!
- Oil – I prefer using canola or vegetable oil since they are mild tasting.
- Buttermilk – You can make your own using milk and either vinegar or lemon juice. See tip below!
- Baking Soda
- All-Purpose Flour
- Vanilla Extract
- Chopped Apples – Use your favorite baking apple. I like using Granny Smith Apples. You can chop the apples as big or as small as you’d like. I recommend slicing them thin (I use a mandolin) and then chopping those slices up. See picture below for reference.
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping – Butter, White Granulated Sugar, and Ground Cinnamon
Tips and FAQs:
What can I substitute for Buttermilk?
If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own! Take 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and add enough milk until it reaches 1 cup. Let sit for 5 minutes until it is somewhat curdled. The buttermilk is very important for this cake. The lactic acid reacts with the baking soda which helps it rise.
How long do the leftovers last?
Leftover cake can be stored in the fridge for about 4 days. Cover the cake tightly with plastic wrap or foil before storing. The cake can be kept at room temperature but it will dry out faster.
What type of pan or baking dish should I use?
This recipe is written for a 9×13 sized pan. You can use either a metal cake pan or a glass/ceramic baking dish. A metal pan will lead to crunchier edges (yum!) and will cook a little faster than a glass or ceramic dish. There is a range of bake time so you can adjust depending on the pan you use.Print
This Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake is perfect for Fall. It’s extra moist and loaded with fresh apple chunks. And don’t forget about the crunchy cinnamon sugar topping.
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, light or brown
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk, see note for substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups peeled and chopped apples
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan or baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla extract. Once mixed, stir in the flour and then fold in the apples. Pour into greased pan.
- For the topping – mix together the melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Using your fingers, sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes in the preheated oven. The cake is done when it is set and a toothpick comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Buttermilk Substitute: Take 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and add enough milk until it reaches 1 cup. Let sit for 5 minutes until it is somewhat curdled.
Leftovers: Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake, Apple Cake, Fall Dessert, Breakfast Cake, Cinnamon Sugar Cake