This Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake recipe is such a morning treat! It's the perfect use for fresh blueberries and buttermilk makes the breakfast cake so tender. It's the perfect pairing with your morning coffee or serve with brunch.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-2 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar or white granulated sugar, optional to sprinkle on top
- Preheat Oven and Prepare Pan. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Cream Butter and Sugar. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the softened butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light colored and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the egg, beat until combined.
- Prepare Blueberries. In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of the flour. In another medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 3/4 cup flour with the salt and baking powder.
- Add Dry Ingredients and Buttermilk. Add about half of the flour mixture to the batter. Fold to combine with a spatula or spoon. Add the buttermilk and stir to combine. Add the remaining flour and stir to combine. Fold in the blueberries (leaving any extra flour in the bowl, so use a spoon to scoop out blueberries vs dumping in). The batter will be very thick.
- Add Batter to Pan. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and gently spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the batter with the raw sugar (or regular sugar). Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes - use a toothpick to check for doneness (I like to check at 40 minutes to start). Some crumbs on the toothpick is good, you don't want any wet batter.
- Cool and Enjoy. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Make your own Buttermilk: put two teaspoons of white vinegar in a measuring cup, add 2% of whole milk to the 1/2 cup line. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before using.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake, Breakfast Cake Recipe, Lemon blueberry cake, Buttermilk breakfast cake recipe