Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup is comforting and easy to make in your crockpot. Canned tomatoes, Italian sausage, tortellini, fresh spinach, and some cream, if you’d like! You can even cook the sausage the night before to make prep super simple. Top with a handful of parmesan cheese for a cozy dinner.
- 1lb Italian Sausage, mild or hot
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced or diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 9oz packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Grated Parmesan, optional for serving
- Cook Sausage. In a skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble the Italian sausage. Add to the slow cooker – I like to add some of that fat for its flavor, but it’s up to your preference.
- Add Soup Ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste – except for the spinach, cream, and tortellini. These will be added at the end.
- Slow Cook. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for about 4 hours. The carrots and celery should be tender.
- Add Remaining Ingredients. Add the tortellini, spinach, and cream (if using, and your desired amount). Increase to high and cook for about 20 minutes until tortellini is just tender. The cook time will vary based on the heat level of your slow cooker. The tortellini will continue to cook in the hot soup so do not overcook. If you’re storing to eat later, I like to cook the tortellini separately and store separately.
- Enjoy. I like to top bowls with a heavy sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese and extra ground pepper.
The soup is best eaten immediately after making – the tortellini will continue to soak up the broth as it sits. For leftovers, you can add a splash of chicken broth when reheating, or you can cook the tortellini separately and add to each bowl of soup when reheating.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Slow Cooker Sausage Tortellini Soup, Sausage Tortellini Soup, Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup, Crockpot Tortellini Soup