Drop Sugar Cookies that are soft, chewy and filled with lots of sprinkles. No rolling or cutting. Just roll the simple cookie dough into balls and bake. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup sprinkles (plus extra for rolling if desired)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer with a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high. About 1 minute until creamed. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix on high speed until combined – 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom as needed.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter. Mix on low until combined. Slowly beat in the sprinkles (use 1/2 cup if you like LOTS of sprinkles). The cookie dough will be sticky and thick.
- Scoop and roll the dough into balls (about 1.5-2 tablespoons). If desired, roll the dough balls in more sprinkles. Place on a plate and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (up to 3 days).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Place the chilled dough balls on the baking sheets, about 2-3 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look soft.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.
Freezing: Make the cookie dough, roll into balls and freeze for up to 3 months. Frozen dough balls can be baked from frozen without thawing, but they will need an extra minute or two of bake time.
Sprinkles: Use your favorite! But avoid using nonpareils as they will bleed their color into the cookie dough. If you prefer, you could omit the sprinkles all together for plain drop sugar cookies.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American