Brown Butter Pecan Blondies are the ultimate dessert. Rich and decadent flavor, crispy tops and edges, and chewy gooey centers. Browned Butter adds a nutty flavor and lots of mix-ins (oats, toasted pecans, and chocolate chunks) make these blondies anything but boring.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup rolled oats (also called old fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cups pecans (measured then chopped)
- 1 cup chocolate chunks (I prefer dark or semi-sweet chocolate)
- First, brown the butter. Set out a heatproof bowl. In a light colored skillet or saucepan, melt half the butter over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring, until butter begins to brown. This usually takes 3-5 minutes. It will be a nice golden, amber color. Watch the butter closely so it doesn’t burn – black specks are bad! Immediately pour into bowl to cool for 30 minutes.
- While the brown butter cools, toast the pecans. Add the pecans to dry skillet in a single layer over low-medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5-7 minutes until the nuts are lightly golden and fragrant. Be careful as they can burn quickly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhand so you can easily lift out the blondies.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir in the oats.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the flat beater, cream the cooled brown butter and sugars together – about 1 minute. Add the egg and the egg yolk. Beat for 1-2 minutes until combined and thickened.
- On low, mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chunks.
- Press blondie dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown and the middle is set.
- Allow to cool before lifting out of the pan and cutting into squares.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Dessert, Chocolate, Blondies, Cookies