Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy and so easy to make. The Instant Pot recipe is much faster than cooking on the stove. AND during the holidays, it frees up a stove top burner. Cook the potatoes and mash them all in your pressure cooker. This Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe is a must for the holiday season.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- Add your peeled and quartered russet potatoes to your Instant Pot liner.
- Cover the potatoes with water (about 4 cups depending on Instant Pot size). Season with salt.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes then release the pressure.
- Drain any excess water.
- Add the creamy ingredients. Butter, milk, sour cream, and salt & pepper.
- Mash it all up! You can use a standard potato masher or use your hand mixer if you want creamier, whipped potatoes.
- Serve them up! I like to sprinkle fresh parsley or chives on top. And a pat of butter is always a good topper as well 🙂
Now the question is… what will you serve with these creamy mashed potatoes? Turkey or ham on Thanksgiving. A Sunday pot roast. Pork chops with a creamy gravy. So many options for this comforting side dish.
Check out some other Instant Pot recipes!Print
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy and so easy to make. Much faster than cooking on the stove. Cook the potatoes and mash them all in your pressure cooker. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 3 lbs russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 3–4 cups water (enough to just cover the potatoes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1/4 cups unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup Milk (nonfat, 2%, or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley or chives (optional for garnish)
- Add the potatoes and water to instant pot. The water should just cover the potatoes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Place lid on Instant Pot, set valve to sealing, and cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. When done cooking, allow to natural release for 2 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Drain the potatoes and add them back to the instant pot. With Instant Pot on warm setting, add the butter, milk, sour cream, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reach. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve potatoes with herbs and a big pat of butter on top, if you’d like. Enjoy!
- Category: Instant Pot, Sides
- Cuisine: American