Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy and so easy to make. Much faster than making on the stove and frees up a burner during the holidays. A must have recipe for the holidays.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Russet Potatoes – You can also use Yukon gold potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Milk – You can use the fat % of your preference. I like using 2% or whole milk for creamier potatoes.
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Herbs – this is optional, but I love topping mashed potatoes with chopped fresh parsley or chives
How To Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- Prep Potatoes – Peel the potatoes and quarter into equal sized pieces.
- Add to Instant Pot – Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot and add water until the potatoes are covered. About 4 cups but will vary on your Instant Pot size. Season with salt.
- Pressure cook – Cook the potatoes on high pressure then quick release the pressure.
- Make Mashed Potatoes – Drain the water from the potatoes. Add the creamy ingredients: butter, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Mash until your desired consistency.
- Serve – I like to top the bowl of mashed potatoes with a few pats of butter and a sprinkle of fresh herbs (parsley or chives).
Mashed potatoes are a classic, comfort side. They’re the perfect pairing with a holiday meal or just a Sunday dinner. Serve alongside your Thanksgiving turkey or ham or with this slow cooker pot roast for family dinner.
Leftovers, Storage, and Reheating
- Leftovers and Storage – Leftover mashed potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating – Mashed potatoes can be reheated in the microwave, in a pot on the stove, or even in a 350 degrees F oven until warmed. For all of the options, I like to add a splash of milk or cream to add some moisture back into the potatoes.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Potato Masher vs Electric Mixer – You can either use a potato masher or an electric mixer to mash up your potatoes. Using an electric mixer will result in super creamy, almost whipped consistency. While a masher will leave you with some small lumps.
Check out some other Instant Pot recipes!
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! Click Here!Print
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy and so easy to make. Much faster than cooking on the stove. Cook the potatoes and mash them all in your pressure cooker.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 3–4 cups water (enough to just cover the potatoes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Milk (nonfat, 2%, or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley or chives (optional for garnish)
- Add to Instant Pot – Add the potatoes and water to instant pot. The water should just cover the potatoes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- Pressure Cook – Place lid on Instant Pot, set valve to sealing, and cook on manual high pressure for 12 minutes. When done cooking, allow to natural release for 2 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Mash Potatoes – Drain the potatoes and add them back to the instant pot. With Instant Pot on warm setting, add the butter, milk, sour cream, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mash and stir potatoes until desired consistency is reach. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve – Serve potatoes with herbs and a big pat of butter on top, if you’d like. Enjoy!
- Category: Instant Pot, Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes Recipe, Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes