Taco Tuesday meets Meatless Monday with these Plant-Based, Meatless Quinoa Black Bean Tacos. They are vegetarian and can easily be made vegan! The easy quinoa taco filling comes together in just one skillet in under 30 minutes. The easy Cilantro Lime Quinoa puts these over the top.
Quinoa Black Bean Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced or crushed)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 15oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 lime (juiced. About 2 tablespoons)
- salt and pepper
- Tortillas, Sliced Avocados, Chopped Cilantro, Sliced Green Onions, Salsa etc. (For Serving)
Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream or a non-dairy alternative)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 limes (zested and juiced)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–2 tablespoons water (if desired to thin)
Quinoa Black Bean Taco Filling
- In a medium-large skillet with a lid (if you don’t have a skillet with a fitting lid, you can use a pot with a lid instead) heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and season with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika), and tomato paste. Stir and cook until the garlic and spices are fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir to coat in the onion and spice mixture. Stir in the vegetable stock and beans.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover with the lid, lower heat to a simmer, and allow mixture to simmer for 15 minutes, covered. Remove from heat and keep covered for about 5 minutes until quinoa is fully cooked. Stir in lime juice and set aside.
Cilantro Lime Crema
- Add all Crema ingredients to a. food processor or blender. Blend to combine. If desired, add 1 – 2 tablespoons of water to thin. Set aside.
- Assemble the tacos! Spoon some of the quinoa filling in tortillas, top with desired toppings (avocado, cilantro, etc.) and drizzle with Crema. Enjoy!
Both the quinoa filling and Crema can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Cuisine: Mexican