Creamy Spicy Gnocchi is easy enough for a weeknight but decadent enough for date night! It comes together in less than 30 minutes and is a great meatless dinner recipe.
Why I Love It
- Quick to Make – The sauce takes less than 10 minutes to make (all while the gnocchi cooks) so you can have dinner in under 30 minutes (including the time it takes to boil water!).
- Adjustable Spice – As written, this recipe has a moderate spice level but you can easily adjust up or down.
- Creamy and Comforting – Thanks to the heavy cream, the gnocchi sauce is perfectly creamy and cozy.
Ingredients for Creamy Spicy Gnocchi:
It only takes a few simple ingredients to make a creamy and spicy gnocchi dinner. Here’s what you need:
- Store-bought Potato Gnocchi – buy the shelf stable kind sold in the pasta aisle. I have not tested this recipe with frozen gnocchi.
- Olive Oil – Or other cooking oil
- Garlic – Fresh minced is best but you an use jarred as well
- Tomato Paste
- Red Pepper Flakes – this gives the sauce most of its spice so you can easily adjust the amount
- Roasted Red Peppers – You can buy these in a jar at most grocery stores
- Heavy Cream – This is the key to making the sauce creamy
- Parmesan Cheese – Fresh grated is best
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Creamy Spicy Gnocchi
Making gnocchi in the oven is so easy! No need to boil water – just toss everything on a sheet pan then roast! See the instructions below for the easiest dinner recipe:
- Cook Gnocchi: Start by boiling a pot of salted water and cooking the gnocchi according to the package directions. Make sure to reserve about 1/2 a cup of the starchy water. Don’t overcook the gnocchi as it can cook more when added to the sauce.
- Start the Sauce: While the gnocchi is cooking, start the sauce by heating the oil in a large skillet and cook the tomato paste, red pepper flakes, roasted peppers, and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Finish Creamy Sauce: Add the heavy cream and 1/2 cup of the starchy gnocchi water, stirring to combine and bring to a gentle to simmer until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the Parmesan Cheese, taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add Cooked Gnocchi: Add the cooked gnocchi to the creamy sauce in the skillet. Toss to combine.
Is all gnocchi vegan?
Most store-bought gnocchi varieties are vegan. Their typical ingredients are… However, it’s always best to check the package to make sure. Many homemade gnocchi recipes do contain egg, so if you are trying to make gnocchi from scratch you’ll need to use a recipe that is specifically made vegan like this one.
How do you know when the gnocchi is cooked?
I like to pierce a gnocchi with a fork to ensure they are tender and cooked.
Leftovers and Reheating
Leftovers and Storage: Leftovers will keep fresh in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheating: For best results, I recommend reheating the leftovers in a pan on the stove over medium heat. However, you can also microwave for a quick meal. You can add a splash of cream or even water to help loosen the sauce up.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Adjust Red Pepper Flakes – If you don’t like spice, you can cut down on the pepper flakes as well as use a milder chicken sausage.
- Storing Tomato Paste – If you have leftover tomato paste from the can, I like to freeze it to reduce waste! Just add the tomato paste to a plastic zip top bag, flatten, and press out the air. Freeze for up to 3 months. You can just break off a piece whenever you need some tomato paste.
- Dairy-free/Vegan: Instead of heavy cream, try swapping in full-fat coconut milk to make this sauce vegan-friendly.
- Add a Protein – This creamy gnocchi is great with added protein as well! Try folding in cooked shrimp with the gnocchi or cooked and cubed chicken breasts.
Other Gnocchi Recipes
- Cheesy Sausage Baked Gnocchi – Loaded with comforting Italian flavors and made in under 45 minutes with less than 10 minutes of hands on time. Only one pan or skillet dinner for an easy clean up.
- Vegan Sheet Pan Gnocchi – All made on one pan for an easy weeknight meal. Roasted peppers and onions, bursting tomatoes, and tender gnocchi all tossed with some simple staple spices.
- Cheesy Baked Broccoli Gnocchi – Creamy, cheesy, bubbly and comes together in about 30 minutes. Vegetarian friendly comfort food. Use your cast iron skillet for this easy gnocchi recipe.
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! Click Here!Print
- 16oz package uncooked potato gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese, more for serving
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Cook Gnocchi – Start by boiling a pot of salted water and cooking the gnocchi according to the package directions. Make sure to reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy water. Don’t overcook the gnocchi as it can cook more when added to the sauce.
- Start the Sauce – While the gnocchi is cooking, start the sauce by heating the oil in a large skillet and cook the tomato paste, red pepper flakes, roasted peppers, and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Finish Creamy Sauce – Add the heavy cream and 1/2 cup of the starchy gnocchi water, stirring to combine and bring to a gentle to simmer until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the Parmesan Cheese, taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add Cooked Gnocchi – Add the cooked gnocchi to the creamy sauce in the skillet. Toss to combine.
- Serve – Serve with extra grated parmesan and red pepper flakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Creamy Spicy Gnocchi, Spicy Creamy Gnocchi, Vegetarian Gnocchi Recipe