This Gingerbread Mug Cake recipe uses just a few simple ingredients (no eggs) and cooks in a mug right in the microwave. All the flavors of classic gingerbread is a fun single serving cake. Perfect treat for the holiday season. I love topping this Christmas Mug Cake with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
Ingredients for the Gingerbread Mug Cake:
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Milk – I’ve tested with skim, 2%, and whole milk and all are great.
- Canola Oil
- Dark Molasses
- Spices: Ground Ginger, Ground Cinnamon, and Salt
- Optional Toppings: Whipped Cream and Caramel Sauce
How to make this recipe:
Check out this quick video!
Tips and FAQ’s
Don’t forget the toppings!
While this gingerbread cake is fabulous on its own. I highly recommend topping with whipped cream, caramel sauce, or both!
Can I make more than one?
This recipe is written for one mug cake, but you can easily double it to make two!
You can either mix them up separately. Or mix up together and then divide the batter between two mugs. It’s best to microwave them separately, though.
What size of mug should I use?
Any standard size (8 ounces or larger) coffee mug works! The cake will puff up slightly and rise as it bakes.
The most important piece is to use a mug that is microwave safe!
Do I need to grease my mug?
Because you eat the cake right out of the mug, you do not need to grease. Although, if you want easier clean up you could spray with cooking spray before mixing up and cooking.
I do not grease and instead just soak the mug in some warm soapy water for a few minutes before cleaning to remove any cooked on bits.
Check out these other microwave mug recipes:
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get new recipe notifications straight to your inbox as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! Click Here!Print
This Gingerbread Mug Cake recipe uses just a few simple ingredients (no eggs) and cooks in a mug right in the microwave. All the flavors of classic gingerbread is a fun single serving cake. Perfect treat for the holiday season. I love topping this Festive Mug Cake with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
- 4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 tablespoon Canola Oil, or other neutral oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Dark Molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Whipped Cream and Caramel Sauce, optional toppings
- Make Batter. Combine all ingredients (except for whipped cream and caramel sauce) in a microwave-safe mug. Use a fork or small whisk to mix until smooth.
- Microwave. Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute until just set.
- Cool and Enjoy. Allow to cool slightly, top with whipped cream and caramel and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Microwave Mug Cake, Mug Cake No Egg, Gingerbread Mug Cake, Holiday Mug Cake, Christmas Mug Cake, Single Serving Cake