Bread making and baking with yeast can be scary and intimidating, but fear no more. This easy No-Knead Cheese Bread uses an amazing dutch oven method that requires barely any prep work on your part. Seriously just 5 ingredients, less than 10 minutes of prep, and you're on your way.
This Dutch Oven Bread is going to blow your mind and is there anything better than Cheesy Bread?! I think not! It's great on its own for a snack or serve alongside a comforting dinner like this classic beef chili, slow cooker chicken noodle soup, or turkey chili.
Why I Love It
- Only 5 Ingredients - You only need five simple ingredients (including water!) to make this bread recipe.
- No Kneading - Many bread recipes require kneading, but this recipe you just mix up the dough by hand and let it sit to rise.
- Golden Crust with Soft Inside - The outside of the bread gets a golden crust while the inside stays soft with pools of gooey cheese.
Ingredients and Equipment Needed
- All-Purpose Flour
- Kosher Salt
- Active Dry Yeast - You can buy it in packets or in a small jar. If you buy the jar, you need to store the rest in the fridge after opening.
- Lukewarm Water
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese - A chunk that we cut into small cubes.
- Parchment Paper - This is essential for lifting the bread dough into the preheated dutch oven.
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid - I used my 4qt Staub Dutch Oven but a larger dutch oven will also work. Just don't use anything smaller than a 4qt.
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix up the dough - Just whisk together the dry ingredients. Toss in the cubed cheese and slowly stir in the warm water.
- Let Rest - That's it! Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 12-16 hours. The dough will rise and double in size.
- Preheat Oven and Dutch Oven - When almost ready to bake, preheat the oven and preheat the dutch oven for 30 minutes. We want the dutch oven nice and HOT!
- Transfer to Dutch Oven - Transfer the dough to a large piece of parchment paper and quickly and carefully lift into the preheated dutch oven.
- Bake Bread - Bake in the preheated oven with the lid on for 30 minutes then remove the lid and bake for another 15-20 minutes. The bread will be golden brown and very crusty.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
When you leave the bread dough to rise, you cover it with a towel or plastic wrap to help keep the dough from drying out.
If your bread crust is too hard, I recommend lowering (or raising) the oven rack so the pan isn't as close to the heat source. Also keep in mind that some ovens run hotter than other, so you can also lower the temp by 25 degrees F if you think yours runs hot.
Adding salt is important for no-knead bread for two reasons. First, salt adds flavor. Second, salt controls the activity of the yeast since it competes with the yeast for the water in the dough. This is helpful in no-knead bread because of the long rise time. Without the salt, the yeast would produce too much gas and lose some of its rising power before you're ready to bake.
This No-Knead Cheese Bread is done when the crust is golden and thick and makes a hollow sound when tapped. golden and has a hard crust. Or you can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature - it should read 200-210 degrees F.
Substitutions and Variations
- Cheese - You can swap in another chunk of cheese or you can even use shredded cheese. If you don't want the cheese, you can completely skip!
- Add Jalapeños - For a spicy spin, try adding in diced or sliced jalapeños.
- Bread Flour vs All-Purpose Flour - I almost always make this bread with all-purpose flour and LOVE the results. You can swap in the same amount of bread flour. Bread flour has a higher amount of protein which will give the inside of the bread a chewier texture.
- Preheat Dutch Oven - It's important to preheat the Dutch Oven so it gets nice and hot. To prevent damage to the Dutch Oven, you want to add it to the cold oven and then turn it on to preheat. It's better for the Dutch Oven to heat up slowly.
- Dutch Oven Size - Pictured is a 4qt Dutch Oven. You can use one larger, but do not use one smaller.
- Trim Parchment Paper - After lifting the dough into the Dutch Oven, you'll want to quickly trim or tear any of the excess parchment paper so it's not sticking over the edge with the lid on.
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get a weekly e-mail with new recipes from the week as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! E-mail link sign up!
Those ads on the page? A portion of all ad revenue is being donated to Warrior Dog Rescue. A MN-based dog rescue that I foster and volunteer with.Print
No-Knead Cheese Bread
Easy No-Knead Cheese Bread uses an amazing dutch oven method that requires just 5 ingredients and less then 10 minutes of prep. You'll want to make this dutch oven bread every week! Nothing better than cheesy bread.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 13 hours
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small ¼ inch dice
- parchment paper
- Mix Dough - In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and yeast. Toss in the cubed cheese so the cubes are coated in the flour. Slowly mix in the warm water using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Mix until just combined. The dough will be very sticky and shaggy looking.
- Let Dough Rise - Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rest for 12-16 hours in a warm, dry place (I keep it on my kitchen counter).
- Preheat Oven and Dutch Oven - Add your Dutch Oven to the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F with a rack in the middle of the oven. The Dutch Oven should preheat for 30 minutes so it is very hot.
- Transfer Dough - When the dutch oven is preheated, transfer the dough to a large piece of parchment paper. Quickly remove the dutch oven from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper into the dutch oven. You'll want to trim off any excess parchment paper so it isn't sticking out over the edges or it will burn. Put the lid back on and put back into the oven.
- Bake - Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes until the dough is golden and has a hard crust. Or you can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature - it should read 200-210 degrees F.
- Enjoy - Carefully remove the parchment and bread from the dutch oven and allow to cool before slicing or tearing the bread. Enjoy!
Preheat Dutch Oven - It's important to preheat the Dutch Oven so it gets nice and hot. To prevent damage to the Dutch Oven, you want to add it to the cold oven and then turn it on to preheat. It's better for the Dutch Oven to heat up slowly.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of the loaf
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 420.6 mg
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 11.5 g
- Cholesterol: 28.1 mg
Keywords: No Knead Bread, No Knead Cheese Bread, Dutch Oven Bread, Cheese Bread, Easy Yeast Bread, Easy Bread Recipe