Christmas Pretzel Hugs are some of my FAVORITE treats to make around the holidays. I mean is there anything better than the salty-sweet combination of chocolate and pretzels? These easy pretzel treats require no mixing, beating, or rolling needed. It takes just a few minutes in the oven followed by a chill in the refrigerator. Not only are these treats delicious and easy to make, but they can also be made well in advance. I always make a big batch in early-mid December to have in the refrigerator when I need a holiday treat or party contribution in a pinch. They keep perfectly for weeks!
I like to use the holiday shaped pretzels during the holiday season but you can absolutely use the rings, mini twists, or even pretzel snaps. And don’t think that these easy Pretzel Hugs are only for Christmas-time. They work for any time of year! I like to use M&M colors that go with the occasion. Also, I typically use regular M&M’s, but go ahead and use any M&M of your choice! Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate, etc.
While the oven is preheating, line your baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. This will make them MUCH easier to remove. Then lay out the pretzels in an even layer. I prefer to filter through and not use the broken ones – the broken ones are much better as a snack while you make these :). Next, set one unwrapped Hug in the middle of each pretzel. Now into the oven they go so the hugs can get slightly (but not too much!) melted.
After a couple of minutes, remove from oven and try pressing one of the Hugs down with an M&M. If there is too much resistance, put back in the oven for 30 seconds to a minute. The Hug should flatten down nicely when pressed with the M&M. Proceed to press M&M’s into all of the Hugs. You’ll need to work fairly quickly before the Hugs start to cool and set.
Let the baking sheet cool and then place in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes or until the chocolate is completely set. I like to store my Pretzel Hugs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I’ll keep them on hand for weeks as an easy treat. Or as a great last minute gift! Just place the Christmas Pretzel Hugs in a cute tin or cellophane gift bag and you’re good to go.
Christmas Pretzel Hugs are the perfect combination of salty and sweet. Easily made with just 3 ingredients and perfect to make ahead for some holiday prep. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 bag Hershey Kisses Hugs
- 1 bag Pretzels (Holiday shapes, rings, snaps, or tiny twists)
- 1 bag M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 250° F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Align pretzels on the lined sheets. Unwrap Hugs and place in the middle of each pretzel. Put the first completed baking sheet in the oven until the Hug starts to melt down – about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and try to press on M&M into a Hug. If the Hug flattens easily, continue with all the pretzels. If there is resistance, put back into the oven for 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Put second completed baking sheet in the oven and repeat.
- Allow the baking sheets to cool and then place in the refrigerator so the chocolate can fully set up – about 10-20 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They keep well for up to 2 weeks.
Note – there are more pretzels and M&M’s in a bag than there are in one bag of Hugs. If you want to make more than 70, you can use a second bag of Hugs. If I’m making a big batch to last me all season I’ll use 3-4 bags of Hugs, 1 bag of M&M’s, and a little less than 2 bags of pretzels.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American