Snowball Cookies with Pecans
Snowball Cookies with Pecans are always one of my favorite holiday cookies. They are buttery, tender, nutty from the chopped pecans, and covered in sweet powdered sugar. They’re a Christmas classic in our house! These cookies are such a favorite that they go by many names!
Other Names for Snowball Cookies:
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Russian Tea Cakes
- Italian Wedding Cookies
- Butter Balls or Pecan Butter Balls
The snowball cookie dough requires just a few ingredients and results in a tender, shortbread like cookie. Like many cookies, this dough does require chilling. It can be chilled for as little as 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Making this the perfect option to make in advance. Mix up the cookie dough one night, then roll into balls and bake another day.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Unsalted Butter – softened to room temperature is a must to cream it properly. You can use salted butter if that’s all you have on hand but you’ll want to use a little less salt.
- Powdered Confectioners Sugar – this is used both in the dough and for rolling the baked cookies. You roll the baked cookie balls twice and the second roll if really when you notice it sticking in a nice layer.
- Kosher Salt – Salt is so so important in sweets. Never skip it. It helps balance the sweetness and brings out the flavors.
- Vanilla Extract – Use the good stuff. It makes a difference 🙂
- All-Purpose Flour – A baking pantry staple. It’s going to seem like a lot of flour at first, but I promise the dough will come together. Mixing in the flour on low first prevents making a huge mess..
- Finely Chopped Pecans – You can either buy them pre-chopped, use a sharp knife, or give a few pulses in your food processor (this if my favorite way).