Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is an easy vegetarian and vegan chili for your busy weeknights. It all comes together in one pot. Healthy and packed with flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and diced)
- 1 large red onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper (can adjust to spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth (2 cans or 1 box)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 lime (juiced. About 1 large tablespoon)
- avocado, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro, sour cream, cheese (optional toppings)
- Heat a large pot (like a dutch oven) with the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced sweet potato and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened. It’s fine that the potatoes aren’t fully tender yet – they will cook more.
- Add the garlic and spices: Chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine until the garlic is fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, black beans, and quinoa. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Give one last stir, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to low to maintain a slow simmer.
- Cook, simmering, for 30-35 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the potatoes are tender. The entire mixture should be thick like a chili. If it needs to be thickened further, you can simmer for a couple of minutes with the lid off.
- Stir in the lime juice and remove from heat. Adjust salt if needed.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 5 days. This chili also freezes well.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Cuisine: American