Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is an easy vegetarian and vegan chili for your busy weeknights. Even though it's meatless, it's flavor-packed and even meat-lovers will enjoy it. It all comes together in one pot for easy clean up. Healthy and packed with flavor.
I love how filling this meatless chili recipe is. Another great option is this Vegan Quinoa Chili
Ingredients You'll Need for this Vegetarian Chili:
I love how this meatless chili uses mainly pantry items. Nothing beats an easy, flavorful dinner that uses what you already have on hand.
- Olive Oil
- Sweet Potato
- Red Onion and Garlic
- Spices: Chili Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Salt
- Vegetable Stock
- Can of Black Beans
- Can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes - you can substitute regular diced tomatoes if that's what you have on hand, but I love the extra flavor fire roasted brings.
- Lime Juice and Cilantro
- Toppings: Avocado, Chopped Cilantro, Sour Cream, Sliced Jalapeños, Shredded Cheese
The Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili comes together in one-pot. I used my favorite Staub 4qt Dutch Oven. You could also use a large pot than this, but I wouldn't go any smaller than 4qt. We start by sautéing the onion and sweet potato until the onions are translucent. Then we add in the spices and garlic and allow the flavors to really bloom. This is such an important step! Finally dump in the remaining ingredients and let it all simmer and come together. Stirring in fresh lime juice and cilantro at the end adds the right amount of brightness to balance the smoky and spice.
As with any chili, the magic is in the toppings. And there are SO many great options. Sliced Jalapeños, Avocado, Fresh Cilantro, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream or a Crema. All delicious options!
Like this recipe? Sign up for my e-mail list so you get a weekly e-mail with new recipes from the week as well as occasional ‘bonus’ content not found on the blog! E-mail link sign up!
Those ads on the page? A portion of all ad revenue is being donated to Warrior Dog Rescue. A MN-based dog rescue that I foster and volunteer with.Print
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is an easy vegetarian and vegan chili for your busy weeknights. It all comes together in one pot. Healthy and packed with flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and diced)
- 1 large red onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoons ground cayenne pepper (can adjust to spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth (2 cans or 1 box)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ½ lime (juiced. About 1 large tablespoon)
- avocado, sliced jalapeños, chopped cilantro, sour cream, cheese (optional toppings)
- Heat a large pot (like a dutch oven) with the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced sweet potato and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened. It's fine that the potatoes aren't fully tender yet - they will cook more.
- Add the garlic and spices: Chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine until the garlic is fragrant - about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, black beans, and quinoa. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Give one last stir, cover the pot, and reduce the heat to low to maintain a slow simmer.
- Cook, simmering, for 30-35 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the potatoes are tender. The entire mixture should be thick like a chili. If it needs to be thickened further, you can simmer for a couple of minutes with the lid off.
- Stir in the lime juice and remove from heat. Adjust salt if needed.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 5 days. This chili also freezes well.
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 10.6 g
- Sodium: 1457.6 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.2 g
- Fiber: 15.4 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Black Bean Chili, Sweet Potato Chili, Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili