Vegan Quinoa Chili is plant-based, protein-packed, filled with fiber, healthy and filling. Perfect for Meatless Monday and uses mainly pantry ingredients. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium to large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 teasepoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 3–4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft (3-4 minutes). Add the garlic, spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, beans, water, and quinoa. Stir together, scraping any bits off the bottom.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until quinoa is cooked – about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
- Stir in lime juice and top with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
This vegan quinoa chili is best served immediately after cooking. As it sits, the quinoa will continue to soak up the liquid and become very thick. Have leftovers? That’s okay! It still tastes great when it’s thicker or you can add a little water or broth to loosen it up.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Cuisine: American