Vegan Quinoa Chili is the plant-based dinner of your dreams. Protein-packed thanks to the quinoa and beans and lots of fiber make this chili extra filling. Perfect for meatless Monday or any night when you want a healthy, vegetarian dinner option. The main reason I love making this quinoa chili? It uses mainly pantry ingredients! No need to run to the store.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Onion and Garlic
- Spices: Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Salt and Pepper
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Green Chiles
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans – Light or Dark works
- Corn Kernels – from a can or frozen works
- Tomato Sauce
- Lime Juice and Fresh Cilantro – To add at the end of brightness!
Tips to Make this Quinoa Chili:
- Add the Spices when you Add the Garlic to Sauté – Adding the spices before you add any liquid allows the spices to ‘bloom’ and deepen in flavor.
- Serve Immediately or Add Liquid to Leftovers – This vegan quinoa chili is best served immediately after cooking. As it sits, the quinoa will continue to soak up the liquid and become very thick. Have leftovers? That’s okay! It still tastes great when it’s thicker or you can add a little water or broth to loosen it up.
- Scrape Any Bits Off the Bottom – When you add the liquid ingredients, make sure to scrape any bit of onion, garlic, and spices off the bottom. This is where the flavor is!
Don’t forget about toppings! This chili is fabulous as it is, but don’t be afraid to add some toppings to mix it up. I love diced avocado or some crunchy tortilla strips.
Vegan Quinoa Chili is plant-based, protein-packed, filled with fiber, healthy and filling. Perfect for Meatless Monday and uses mainly pantry ingredients. Recipe at KathleensCravings.com
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium to large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1/2 teasepoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 3–4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft (3-4 minutes). Add the garlic, spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, beans, water, and quinoa. Stir together, scraping any bits off the bottom.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until quinoa is cooked – about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
- Stir in lime juice and top with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
This vegan quinoa chili is best served immediately after cooking. As it sits, the quinoa will continue to soak up the liquid and become very thick. Have leftovers? That’s okay! It still tastes great when it’s thicker or you can add a little water or broth to loosen it up.
- Category: Main Dish, Meatless Monday
- Cuisine: American